Skip to main content

Business License


Hello! We are glad you have decided to locate your business in Snellville...Where Everybody is PROUD to be Somebody!

Everything you need to register your business can be found on this page—just follow the steps. Requirements may be different for home-based businesses, so if you are planning to operate a home-based business, review the minimum standards.

As you develop your business, you may come to a hurdle. However, don't panic as the City's Economic Development office can help you overcome the hurdles and come out a winner. In partnership with Small Business Development Centers, and SCORE, we offer assistance with marketing, financing, management and more. Visit our webpage for more information!

Step 1. Verify Business Location is in City Limits

In order to apply for and obtain an Occupational Tax Certificate (business license) from the City of Snellville, we must verify the physical business address is in the Municipal City limits of the City of Snellville. Just because the location has a Snellville mailing address, it may not be within city limits, so be sure to check!

Use the convenient 'Am I in the City?' lookup tool to see if the proposed business location is in the City of Snellville municipal limits. Or call the Planning Department (770.985.3513 or 3514) to have your location confirmed. If the location is not within the Snellville City limits, you will most likely need to contact Gwinnett County Licensing and Revenue Office (678.377.4100).

Step 2. Verify Business Use Meets Zoning Requirements

We must also verify that the physical business location is properly zoned to allow the proposed use on the property. The Zoning and Street Map shows both the zoning and street names. Use Adobe's zoom feature to view details and street names. Review Article 6 Use Provisions of the Unified Development Ordinance ("UDO") which includes the Use Table to make sure the proposed use is a permitted use allowed in the zoning district for your business location.

Some uses are permitted as a 'Limited Use', provided the use and property meets certain use standards.  Other uses may be allowed as a Special Use Permit ("SUP"), which is similar to a zoning action that is considered by the Planning Department, Planning Commission and Mayor and Council, and after two public hearings.

A use not specifically listed in the Use Table is prohibited unless the Director of Planning and Development determines the use to be part of a existing use category. Please complete and submit the Classification of Use Request for approval consideration.

Where a use not listed is found by the Planning Director not to be similar to any other permitted use, the use is only permitted following a text amendment to the UDO.

Prospective business owners can obtain written confirmation of the zoning of a business location. A Zoning Verification Letter will provide the Zoning District classification of the subject property, reference to any applicable overlay district, and the most recent zoning change related to the current zoning entitlements as some properties may have conditions of zoning that may restrict or even prohibit certain principal or accessory uses. Please call the Planning Department (770.985.3515) if you have questions.

If the zoning of the property does not permit the proposed use, a Rezoning Amendment application and possible Land Use Plan Amendment application will need to be approved prior to issuance of a business license. These applications require the property owner's approval and require the submittal of a complete application for review and recommendation by the Planning Department. Public Hearings by the Planning Commission and Mayor and Council are conducted to consider the application. This is a minimum 75-day process, so please plan accordingly.

Step 3. Obtain State License if Needed

Check the Professional Licensing Boards Division of the Secretary of State to see if you or your business must apply for or renew additional licensing.

Check the Georgia Department of Human Resource, Office of Regulatory Services if you plan to operate a primary health care, long-term care (personal care homes) or residential child care programs.

Step 4. Obtain Building Permit if Needed

Before making any non-cosmetic modifications to the tenant space or building, any person desiring to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a building or structure will need to obtain a Building Permit. Typical examples include adding or removing walls, doorways, or storefront windows; changes to the existing electrical, plumbing or HVAC systems; and adding any new electrical, plumbing, or HVAC systems. Cosmetic improvements such as floor covering replacement and painting of walls do not require a permit.

The Occupation Tax Certificate (Business License) will be issued upon successful completion of all required inspections, including all final inspections for Certificate of Occupancy.

Step 5. Obtain Fire Plan Review

If your proposed business location does not require a Building Permit for modifications or changes to the structure or interior space to meet your business needs you must obtain a Certificate of Occupancy from the Gwinnett County Department of Fire and Emergency Services (Office of the Fire Marshall). Please contact the Fire Marshal's office at (678.518.6100) or review the Fire Marshal Certificate of Occupancy Procedures.

Step 6. Obtain a U.S. Citizen / Qualified Alien Affidavit

As required by O.C.G.A. § 50-36-1(e), all businesses, corporations, LLCs and partnerships making application for an Occupational Tax Certificate (Business License) in the City of Snellville will be required to submit a signed, notarized U.S. Citizen / Qualified Alien Affidavit.

Step 7. Georgia Department of Revenue Sales & Use Reporting

In accordance with O.C.G.A. § 48-13-20.1, any person who performs any business, occupation or professional subject to an occupation tax or regulatory fee under O.C.G.A. § 48-13-1 et seq., is required to provide the City of Snellville information when paying such occupation tax or regulatory fee.

Step 8. Application for Occupation Tax Certificate (Business License)

Packets containing all the forms and applications needed to apply for a Occupation Tax Certificate (Business License) may be viewed and downloaded by visiting the Forms & Applications page:

Business License Packet (for Commercial Zoned Properties)

Business License Packet (for Residential Zoned Properties)

Renewal Information for Existing Businesses

All Occupation Tax Certificates (Business Licenses) expire on December 31st of each year. A 3-month renewal period begins January 1st and runs through March 31st.


The deadline for the 2024 Occupation Tax Certificate (Business License) renewal was March 31, 2024. Any amounts owed which are not paid by April 1st shall be subject to a penalty of $25.00 or 10% of the taxed owed, whichever is greater. Such delinquency shall also bear interest at a rate of 1.5% for each month or partial month of such delinquency. Penalties provided is this section shall be in addition to any other penalties, civil criminal, which may be applicable. [Sec. 54-155 and Sec. 54-175]


If your business has closed or moved to a location outside the Snellville City limits, please email the Planning Department with the business name; business owner or officer name; effective date of closure or business relocation; if business relocation, the address of the new business location so that we may inactivate your business record. If the business has relocated, please contact the local jurisdiction regarding obtaining a new business license. For businesses relocating within the Snellville City limits, please contact the Planning Department (770.985.3513 or 3514) for additional information.


Occupation Tax Certificates (Business License) are issued by the Department of Planning & Development, Monday – Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. All other services provided by the Department are available Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.


Payment is tendered at the time the complete application is submitted for new businesses. We accept cash, check, Visa and MasterCard (debit & credit), Discover Card, money order, or cashier's check. Online payments for licenses and permits are not accepted at this time.