Skip to main content

Building Permits & Inspections

How to Obtain a Commercial Building Permit

Submit three (3) sets of Fire Marshal approved building plans for review by City Building Inspector together with a completed and signed Building Plan Submittal Form. A Plan Review Fee will be collected upon receipt of the building plans. The Planning Department will keep one set of submitted plans for our records and return the "Keep on Job Site" plans and additional set upon issuance of a Building Permit. You must keep the Fire Marshal approved and City of Snellville approved "Keep on Job Site" plans at your construction site at all times. Any construction for a food service establishment would also require advance approval by the Gwinnett County Environmental Health Department.

Plans are reviewed on a first-come, first-serve basis on Friday's only. You will be notified once the plans have been approved or you may be asked to provide additional information/detail as may be requested by the Building Inspector, Zoning Administrator, City Engineer or Planning Director. Depending on the initial plan submittal date, initial plan review may take up to four-weeks to complete, but is generally completed in less than two-weeks..

Upon plan approval, a Building Permit application must be completed and submitted along with water and sewer tap receipts from Gwinnett County Department of Water Resources. (Receipts are not applicable on interior finish permits). Fees for a Commercial Building Permit (New Construction) are figured according to SBCCI Data Sheet Multiplier based on construction and occupancy type and total square footage, and are calculated at $6.00 per $1,000 of construction cost. Fees for Commercial Building Permit (Interior Finish/Alteration/Renovation) are calculated at $6.00 per $1,000 on the contract amount. A $50 Certificate of Occupancy fee is added to all Commercial Building Permit fees and paid upon issuance of the Building Permit.

All general contractors must register with the City of Snellville once a year with a current business license issued within the state of Georgia.

Subcontractors (Plumbing, Electric, & HVAC) are required to complete subcontractor affidavits and provide copies of their valid business license and state license. No additional permit fees are required from the subcontractors, however, the general contractor is responsible to make sure these affidavits have been completed and submitted to the Planning Department before any inspections are scheduled.

If a construction trailer is needed at the site, a Temporary Trailer Permit is required from City of Snellville.

The City of Snellville has a franchise agreement with Advanced Disposal, requiring contractors to obtain solid waste containers through the City's Public Works Department. Please contact the Public Works Department at (770) 985-3528 for information and fee schedules. An commercial sanitation account must be established before release of an approved Building Permit.

Inspections may be requested by calling 770-985-3513 or 3514. 24-hour notice is required for all inspections.

Utility Digging

The Georgia Utility Facility Protection Act (O.C.G.A. § 25-9-1) requires anyone who will be blasting or excavating with mechanized equipment to submit a utility locate request at least 48 hours prior to commencing work. Locate requests can be called into the Georgia Utilities Protection Center at 811 or 1-800-282-7411 (toll free outside Atlanta).

It is important that these procedures are followed. If the UPC does not provide clearance for the utility dig prior to beginning, violators can be fined from $1,000-$3,000 plus the cost of replacing or repairing damaged facilities and any injuries to persons or property. These laws and procedures are in place to prevent human injuries and fatalities, as well as property damage. Keep your work site safe - call first and dig safely!

Telephone numbers for additional information

City Building Inspector (770) 985-3513 or 3514
Gwinnett County Fire Marshal (678) 518-4980
Gwinnett County Environmental Health (770) 963-5132
Gwinnett County Water & Sewer (678) 376-6700
Walton EMC (770) 972-2917
Georgia Utilities Protection Center 811 or (800) 282-7411